Thread: Equifax hacked
View Single Post

Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Liked 777 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
You need to do it only with Transunion, not all 3. Website: Fraud Alert | Place Online Fraud Alerts on Your Credit Report

I have maintained a fraud alert since the OPM hacking debacle, and everyone reading this should also do it. And keep it in effect. I think you have to renew it every six months which can be done online. I know mine is still in effect until October 1. It will prevent any other unauthorized party from opening up a credit account in your name.

Equifax is apparently offering some free service similar to LifeLock. But exactly how that will work is still up in the air. I have read that if you enroll in it, you waive your right to sue Equifax. That may not stand due to the outrage being generated against Equifax. See more information below.

I understand there is an enormous class action lawsuit now brewing against Equifax and about anyone with a SSN will be part of the class.

You can't get help right away. When people enter their last name and part of their Social Security number on the site to see whether they were affected, some are being told: "Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident."

But even in that case, Equifax is not offering the credit monitoring service until next week at the earliest. Monday is the first day you can sign up.

You could be giving up some of your rights to sue. At first, Equifax said anyone who gets the credit monitoring service, TrustedID, must agree to submit any complaints about it to arbitration. Those people wouldn't be allowed to sue, join a class-action suit, or benefit from any class-action settlement.

After public pressure, Equifax added an opt-out provision on Friday. Customers can get out of the arbitration requirement by notifying Equifax in writing within 30 days of accepting the monitoring service. "
Fraud Alert is good for 90 days