View Single Post

Old 09-09-2017, 09:51 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
A Mercedes is one thing.

Cooper's 1931 Duesenberg makes it look like a Soap Box Derby car.

There was a lot more to Gary Cooper, by the way, than the simple cowboy or American hero he portrayed in his films.

Cooper, in that photo, is leaning on a full size Phaeton. The Gable picture I attached was another (different model) Duesenberg, not his SSJ.

Without referencing the Duesenberg books, the SSJ model Duesenberg were the model that only 2 were manufactured ... one for Gary Cooper, the other for Clark Gable. Clark Gable's was 1 foot longer than Gary Cooper's.

Of other famous owners of Duesenbergs was Tom Mix who owned several and died in a "sister" car, a Cord, in 1940. (ref: "sister" Cord / Auburn / Duesenberg )

Here are the 2, famous, SSJ's: Model SSJ

Whether it be the RM of either Clark or Gary, or the Duesenberg(s) owned by either one, be prepared to plop down some serious cash.

I believe the same owner of Gary Cooper's RM also owns Clark Gable's RM.

Back about 30 years ago I went on a quest to find Clark Gable's RM from a 1981 auction catalog when it was sold. After several years (the pre-internet days) ... I tracked it down. I wrote the (then) current owner twice. I did not get a response to either letter.

Both Cooper's and Gable's RM were on loan to the NRA museum IIRC, also Jimmy Stewart's. Correct me if I've misstated any of the above.

Oh, I researched to find Gable had the Gullwing coupe. Did not know Cooper had one, too.

Yes, just found online ... only 2 SSJs were made, one for Cooper, one for Gable ... see: The Clark Gable 1935 SSJ Duesenberg in Los Angeles | The Old Motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gables Duese.jpg (164.5 KB, 470 views)

Last edited by model3sw; 09-10-2017 at 04:45 AM.
The Following 20 Users Like Post: