View Single Post

Old 09-09-2017, 11:53 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Interesting pick up Guy,

I see that the assembly # has been relocated from the frame cut out to the left side of the grip frame. This normally means the gun is model marked in the yoke. Is it? Does it have a dash #? Does it have the serial # in the frame cut out yet?

It clearly has the left hand Ext rod. The correct dash # for left hand Ext rod is -1 and dates to 1959. But no one has ever seen one. So it's likely just stamped Mod 16. And from 1959.

It might still have only the 3 serial locations:

1. Butt

2. Extractor star - backside

3. Right stock – backside (except most post war target grips because individual fitting not required.)

But may already have the 4 locations which are common by about the end of 1959:

1. Butt

2. Frame in yoke cut

3. Extractor star until ~ 1980 when the new extractor star shape was introduced.

4. Back of right stock, until ~ 1979 when no longer hand fitted, (except most post war target grips because individual fitting not required).

I agree to letter first before doing anything to it.

If it's model marked, S&W will still accept it for refinishing and the CCH on trigger and hammer will be restored properly.

It looks like severe holster storage rust, probably from salt water. The pitting on the right side of sight base looks severe and a replacement sight is required. I'd find the correct vintage and send along with the gun to S&W for replacement.

If the 5" barrel is original, I'd likely correct the corrosion damage myself before sending for re-finish. That way I'd know the pitting removal or tig weld filling, barrel roundness, and taper would be to my satisfaction before it got blued.
S&WCA #819