View Single Post

Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Liked 17,179 Times in 5,628 Posts

You cannot mount a scope and still be able to use the stock iron sights. In fact, some pistol scope or red dot mount requires the removal of the rear sight. Even mounting a red dot type sight, which can be mounted lower than a scope will not allow use of the sights, although in some cases the front sight may still be visible.

Now that we have that out of the way, due to the recoil the 460 is capable of producing, I would look for a 3 ring mounting system and S&W recommends steel bases over aluminum. Here's an excerpt from the American Rifleman on the subject:

Quote:
While the 460XVR is supplied with open sights, the handgun’s full potential can only be realized through the use of an optic. Fortunately, Smith & Wesson anticipated this and drilled and tapped the top strap for a scope base.

Smith & Wesson recommends that only quality steel bases and rings be used, and highly touts those manufactured by Warne. In fact, both can be purchased directly from the company. When mounting the base and rings, Loc-Tite is absolutely necessary for prevention of screws backing out under the .460 S&W Mag.’s stout recoil.

When choosing an optic, select only quality scopes designed for, and tested on, big-bore handguns. Bargain-priced scopes will not hold up to the stress imposed by this cartridge! The top choices are Leupold’s FXII (fixed-power) and VXIII (variable-power) handgun scopes, as well as those in Bushnell’s Elite 3200 line. If possible, opt for a matte finish, as those with a gloss finish tend to move more readily from recoil. A third ring can help prevent this, and is recommended. While I’ve yet to try them, a red-dot optic should make for a nice addition, given sufficient quality.

When mounting an optic, ensure its bell is not located directly above the top ports of the compensator, otherwise venting gases could not only mar the scope’s finish, but cause structural damage. While this isn’t a problem with the 460XVR, it could be with the 5-inch-barreled 460V, particularly with longer scopes and the jacketed-bullet compensator.
Now about scopes. One word: Leupold. Period. For your application, I would recommend their 2x scope. They do make a variable power pistol scope (which I love on my Model 41's) but as you dial up the higher magnifications, eye relieve shortens, which could be dangerous on a gun that recoils as much as the 460 can. Nikon also makes some good pistol scopes, both fixed and variable power, and they cost less than the Leupold versions, but they don't (IMHO - and I own both brands) compare in quality to the Leupold models.

Last edited by Tom S.; 09-10-2017 at 09:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: