View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfool View Post
poordevil - A picture is worth a thousand words.... And I see a barrel about to depart the frame on that 29.

Might be a metallurgical problem, but I would also guess an over tightened barrel led to the failure. This was a known issue with early Ruger Redhawk .44 mags., that tended to send their barrels down range along with the bullet. I believe it was traced to a batch of guns with over tightened barrels..

Larry
That was also due to a batch of barrels that had some lube (?) applied that remained on them too long and affected the steel.

I'm sure it wasn't a normal lubricant, but something used in the manufacturing process that damages the steel if left on too long.

When S&W stopped using pinned barrels, I heard of some barrels being over tightened that supposedly behaved as your gun did. They soon got that sorted out.

Be sure to refer to the cylinder as such and not as the "drum" in any correspondence. There is just one cylinder, with six chambers.

Alas, when S&W replaces the gun, it'll be with one of current manufacture. But you can sell that and apply the money toward purchase of a more classic version.

They do have a good warranty and I think will take care of you, as the flaw was in the gun.

I'm glad that no one was injured and that this didn't happen as you were firing at a bear, etc. that was attacking.

Last edited by Texas Star; 09-11-2017 at 03:53 AM.