View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts

Hello Forum;

For me whether to Letter or not really depends on what I want to know. Sometimes it is simple curiosity, other times I am really interested in tracking down details, which the Letter gives a valid starting point and the rest is up to you and Mr. Google. As they say......buy the gun....not the story.

An example for me is my Model 36 no dash. Not any kind of rarity, but came to me in a different way with a different "story" and with accessories that made me wonder..so I will eventually Letter this gun just to find out (like Richard said...I'm sure this one went to Elvis....Why?.....cause he told me so when I saw him yesterday!).

Anyway, 1965 or so Model 36, no real wear and tear, original box, documents, vapor paper, and a Smith & Wesson black leather duty holster supposedly made at Smith's Lillington North Carolina factory. "Story" said cop issue all the way, but how many cops put the piece away in its box with paperwork and let er sit for 52 years.

So.....couple things don't look right to me. Holster shows just enough wear that someone had it on a belt, with a gun in it long enough to shine the protruding surfaces (cylinder, thumb break) but the gun muzzle has zero bluing loss). The Banjor Punta box is not a fake but the label is on upside down which may not be a biggy but enough so that I am curious.

Bottom line? I'll get it lettered and start the investigation trail, which is most of the fun I get out of this hobby, other than pure delight in shooting of course.

BTW: If the seller had a Letter on this gun, I would have probably paid his asking price because I know him and he really didn't have the need to move it out of his safe, but because of the questions (to my mind anyway) I got this rig for a real decent price and of course I am hoping that the Letter supports the sellers claim....then I go looking for the Chief or his descendants and maybe some gun history.

Enjoy your gun no matter whether you Letter or not...it is the chase that keeps me coming back for more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0873.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0874.jpg (91.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0875.jpg (73.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0878.jpg (83.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0877.jpg (103.2 KB, 30 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 2 Users Like Post: