View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Liked 570 Times in 198 Posts

Its a gun I classify with the 329PD. I've had both, note "had".

Built on a scandium frame with a Titanium cylinder. In 44 Special the Ti cylinder probably wouldn't erode as badly as the magnum, but it's still an odd chice to use Titamium for a revolver cylinder.

The scandium/Titanium combo makes them very light and they have significant recoil, even in .44 Special.

And finally, the 396 shares a trait with the 696, extremely thin walls on the forcing cone, the section of the barrel that protrudes into the frame. I sold my 696 because of this. note that S&W had remedied this on the new Model 69.

The 396 Mountain Lite is cool looking little gun, and extremely lightweight. Some probably disagree with me, but I sold mine for a decent chunk of money and never looked back. If you want something similar, less refined, but without the drawbacks, checkout the Charter Arms bulldog. I found an early Stratford made gun for under $300. Loaded with CCI shot loads, it's a pretty formidable snake charmer. Loaded with CCI Blazer 200 gr hollow points it's a good self defense gun.

Last edited by WPWarhawk; 09-12-2017 at 03:43 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: