View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,935 Times in 3,651 Posts

"-----------is a factory letter needed with a gun that has its provenance?"

An entirely reasonable question----what provenance?

I bought a gun awhile back---a 22/40---bought it because it was better than the one I had at home. Given the fact I letter every gun I own, I sent off for another one.

There are three different kinds of letters-----------------

Plain Vanilla----the gun was shipped on such and such date to such and such distributor. Nice to know---no big deal. I have a bunch of these---I consider them as frosting on the cake, and let it go at that.

Special------same as Plain Vanilla, plus some goodies that you're not going to find in any book anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances---usually nothing earth shaking---just interesting stuff that the Historian knew, found interesting, and decided to pass it on. I found it interesting too. In addition, those guns which letter as shipped to individuals----competitive shooters, law enforcement officers, and just plain folks. I have a fair number of these too. Gives you something to do on cold winter evenings---try to track them down---learn something about them.

WOW-----I only have one of these. Most folks don't have any. This is on that 22/40. It goes like this: "--------your handgun, with serial number 682435 was shipped from our factory on March 21, 1940, and delivered to Mr. Philip B. Sharpe, South Portland, ME.-----------This revolver was shipped on an advertising account at no charge to Mr. Sharpe." The last line sums it up: "This is a very important revolver." They shipped another "very important revolver" to him too------Registered Magnum #2. This tale has a sad epilogue: The fellow I bought it from owned it for ten years-----and never lettered it.

So, once again------what provenance? The answer is you don't know until you ask.

Ralph Tremaine

I have a few Extra Special letters too----wish I didn't---but the breaks of the game. I have a .32 caliber 1st Model Single Shot----a fairly rare gun. It letters as a 1st Model .22 Single Shot---not so rare---scarce maybe. I have a 6" 2nd Model Single Shot----likely more rare than the .32 1st (because of the barrel length)---they can't confirm the barrel length. I have a New Model #3 Target-----one of those made ONLY in 32/44 S&W or 38/44 S&W. (You can confirm that in any book of your choosing.). Mine's chambered for "38 WINCHESTER CTG" (38-40 Winchester)----they can't confirm the caliber. They did note maybe the next best thing, said it "----appears to be a special order for a single unit." Sometime you eat the bear---sometimes the bear eats you.

Last edited by rct269; 09-11-2017 at 09:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: