Thread: model 59
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Whoever is going to buy that pristine perfect, as-new Model 59 at $599 or a little less is likely not going to carry it around... nor is he or she likely to think that a good, used J-frame or Glock will fit into their collection better. Chances are actually pretty good that the buyer might already own a J-frame or two and possibly even a Glock or two as well. This will probably not have been their first rodeo.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that some Smith & Wesson collector will come along and buy it someday... just like the original 600+ gun collector who had previously wanted it in his collection.

Shooters and defensive carriers often don't "get" gun collectors. I understand that. Believe it or not, some guns are bought not to be carried daily or even used as primary self-defense weapons in the home. Some people just buy certain guns because they want one for their collection.
Oh no, I meant that even in that condition, as a collector item, I didn't think the price was that good. They're not rare, they're not highly-prized. About the only thing you could say is that they're generally in "well-used" condition. But yeah--somebody will eventually pay that for one, or the seller will come down a bit.

The thing about the Js and Glocks is more to do with the price of a more...typical 59. I figure a very worn example goes for around $250-275 (you can find them for less), and something presentable runs $300. Well, if I shop it hard, I'd bet I can get a J-frame for $350, if I don't get too picky as to which one I want. The Glock, used, should run about $425 or so.

The hardest part about finding a good, cheap, beat-up shooter of a 59 is finding a gun shop that actually took one in! For the prices that most will be looking to offer in trade, the owners will generally just hang on to them.

The 59 has a demerits on the "carry gun" front, so I think spending a little more for something else is worth it.

But as a real beater of a range gun? Easily tops the fun-per-dollar charts.
The Following User Likes This Post: