Thread: Gary Coopers RM
View Single Post

Old 09-12-2017, 04:04 AM

Liked 184 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
As a bit of an aside, my grandmother lived and worked at Pahaska Teepee and then at the Irma Hotal in Cody, Wy from about 1919 to 1925. Her father, my great grandfather, managed both and owned Pahaska for a time. Pahaska was, and still is, located just outside the east gate to Yellowstone Park. The famous old Yellow Yellowstone Park buses used to run from Cody to the Park past Pahaska and through the east gate every day, and they always stopped for lunch at Pahaska, both going out and returning to Cody - it was a two day trip then. The bus drivers were known as "gearjammers." They did everything! Drove the bus, acted as tour guides and generally took care of their vehicles and the tourists who rode in them. The buses they drove would have looked much like this:

One of the Gearjammers during the summer of 1923 (maybe 1924) was Gary Cooper. Of course, he wasn't famous then. Grandma was in her early 20's, Cooper was about two years younger, and she saw him just about every day. She apparently got to know him pretty well. She never discussed details with me, but I always had the impression she was quite smitten with him. She always said he certainly was a charmer! Seems like he had great taste in handguns too!
Wyo, I love your story. I am a many times visitor to Cody since 2003 and have good friends there. Was there last May and will be back next May after the Denver Gunshow.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: