Thread: Gary Coopers RM
View Single Post

Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier45 View Post
Yes, couldn't agree more about Mr Stewart. He's one of my favorites and an American hero. I'd love to have one of his firearms.
Well, Cooper and Gable both dated Grace Kelly and other screen women, but I'd like some of their guns, too, ha!

Actually, I think it's sort of cool that Cooper was friendly with Grace off the set of, "High Noon" as well as marrying her in the movie.

Clark Gable appeared with her in, "Mogambo", and after, they went on a private safari, raising eyebrows at the time. I wonder which animals Gable or Kelly shot on the real safari? Photos show Grace with a .275 Rigby that I think belonged either to her or to Gable. I don't think it was in the film. A Model 70 Winchester .270 of Gable's supposedly did appear.

A pic of Grace looks as if she wore the Russell's Birdshooter boots espoused by Robert C. Ruark in his famous novels set in colonial Kenya. (Yes, I am able to look at Grace Kelly and notice her boots.)

About three years later, she married Prince Ranier and became Her Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco. I believe she was thereafter loyal to her husband but Hitchcock supposedly said that prior to this, she got around a lot.

Robert Stack was another famous actor into guns. He wrote a shotgun column for, "Gun World" and was a skeet champion. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew Stewart, Gable, and Cooper and maybe shot with all three.

It's such a shame that leading actors now have to avoid openly liking guns.

Last edited by Texas Star; 09-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: