View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisrush View Post
One thing I forgot to mention in my reply above (where I said I don't use a baffle but seem to get very consistent throws).......

I do a very consistent double-tap. In fact, for every throw I do two double-taps - one double-tap when the powder is being dispensed into the case, and the other double-tap when the powder is settling from the hopper into the adjustable cylinder.

Maybe those taps on the measure are making it consistent even without a baffle.
I also didn't mention something similar to this, but I do it with baffle use. When using the baffle, it will rest near the bottom of the tube on the metal rim that exists. When you first dump powder down into the hopper, it will naturally fill up above the baffle. So in order to get a natural flow of powder underneath the baffle, I take a screw driver or other tool and lightly tap the hopper to facilitate powder flow past the baffle. After a few seconds, the powder is properly dispersed and will remain that way until you finish, as long as you don't let the powder run empty.

However, when I'm actively throwing charges, I operate the Uni-Flow handle in a way that naturally "taps" the unit each time I throw a charge. When you raise the handle, do it with speed so when it reaches the top it hits with a tap, then when you lower the handle do the same and end the motion with a solid tap at the bottom stop. So raise up tap, then lower down tap, tap up and tap down. The Uni-Flow unit is sturdy metal and it doesn't hurt it to work the handle like that. This always keeps the powder evenly dispersed, assures an accurate charge, and how I can "set it and forget it". This is with a baffle though.

I tried using the Uni-Flow without a baffle and I definitely noticed charge variations depending on how full the hopper was. The weight does matter, but I'm sure the powder type matters too and that may be how some get good results without a baffle. In my experience though, charges vary without a baffle.

Here is pics of the diagram I had. Very simple to make.

baffle 1.jpg
baffle 2.jpg

Last edited by iPac; 09-13-2017 at 11:36 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: