Thread: Got a 3" 60
View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill In Texas View Post
Love my 60-15! Before I got into k frames it was my EDC! Congratulations and a great price too!

A piece of advice though. Check all of the screws for tightness. Even the screw that holds the sight assembly in place, as well as, the cylinder release screw. They have a tendency to work loose. Hope this helps!

Brother, you speak the truth! Saturday, my brother and I took my 625-8 to the range. I had (10) full moon clips loaded with .45acp, Blazer Brass and Blazer Aluminum, (5) moons with Federal HST's, and (3) Moons full of .45Super, 255grain Hard Casts from Buffalo Bore. I started with the BB first... All 18 rounds went off, and were all in a 3" Dirty Bird Bullseye on a B-27 target, 10 Yards away. Next up were the Federal HST's, about the same accuracy. All I had to re-patch up were the Bullseys. Last I started in on the Blazer's. I started getting misfires right away. The Hammer Strut screw on the grip had worked its way lose, two full turns worth.... and the primer strikes were light on all rounds across the board compared to previous range trips, (I save all my brass.) It made it easy once home to compare previous shot brass to this range trip. The self defense rounds all touched off with the light strikes. The normally 99.9% Blazer Brass/Aluminum Target SHTF ammo was 50/50. All light primer strikes with the Blazer went off in my SA Champion 1911 though so I knew the problem was the Smith 625. On previous trips I've had a lose Yoke Screw, Cylinder Release Screw, and now the Hammer Strut screw come lose; the latter causing malfunctions/misfires. I've taken all screws out and cleaned the threads and holes with dental tools. I've applied "Purple" LocTite and torqued all screws a touch past snug down; and applied witness marks with a White-Out Pen. It's back to the range Saturday with a healthy dose of Blazer Brass&Aluminum, Federal HST's, and a couple moon clips full of the .45Super from Buffalo Bore since this is my dedicated "Woods Gun" and sometimes CCW pistol. It needs to work 100% of the time. I've put witness marks on my 70's "J" frames that also are in the carry rotation. I suggest others do the same for all serious use Revolver!

Last edited by HamHands; 09-13-2017 at 12:00 PM.