View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts

What's the first thing that should be done go a new firearm before shooting it? Cleaning and lubing. Indeed of the most common complaints from owners with new ARs is a gritty trigger. Cleaning and lubing the trigger goes a long way to eliminating that gritty feeling. It also properly lubes the trigger. Lubing the trigger is just basic maintenance. Installing an AR trigger group isn't difficult.

Not having a replacement BCG on hand is like driving around without a spare tire and no road side service. Extractor springs eventually fail. Bolts sometimes crack. Gas rings wear. When an AR starts to malfunction, the easiest, most universal solution is to install a replacement BCG. Some people have far to travel and pay range fees just to shoot. A spare BCG will let the shooter keep shooting.

A carbine weight buffer is too light. The correct buffer is an H or H2 buffer, depending. An AR can be shot until the proper buffer can be purchased, but it's best to start with parts made to the correct specs.

S&W muzzle devices are heavier than they need to be. It's also out at the end of the barrel where it's increased arm will require more muscle from the shooter when tracking a moving target or transitioning from target to target. An A2 birdcage is lighter, cheap, ready to install and performs just as well.

I figure Goodoboy has common sense and will realize he can shoot his AR without doing anything I suggested. As he shoots his AR, he'll understand better why I made those suggestions. Yes, shoot the AR before making changes. As always, Ammo Before Accessories. Shoot Before Modifying. Shoot enough and the things I'm talking about will become apparent