View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
Installing an AR trigger group isn't difficult.

Perhaps a newbie should learn basic maintenance and function prior to stripping an AR down to tiny parts.

A spare BCG will let the shooter keep shooting.

What part of a bolt carrier will fail? They are little more than properly machined chunks of steel. Bolt failure, maybe. Bolt carrier failure, not likely. Just more weight to carry around.

S&W muzzle devices are heavier than they need to be. It's also out at the end of the barrel where it's increased arm will require more muscle from the shooter when tracking a moving target or transitioning from target to target. An A2 birdcage is lighter, cheap, ready to install and performs just as well.

Two things here-if a couple of ounces difference in weight is noticeable, you need to eat more Wheaties. All three of my S&W AR's came with a A2 muzzle device anyway. I find it a unlikely that a new shooter/AR owner will be tracking moving targets or transitioning from target to target. Most will have enough difficulty hitting a single stationary target from the bench at 50 yards.
Note that the OP has shot a friends AR once. He states that he is a first time shooter and owner.

As far as tuning an AR by using different buffers is concerned, it is usually accepted that the AR's sold are over-gassed as sold to be able to handle all ammunition on the market. I could care less if mine pile brass at 1:30 instead of 4:30. They work as they are and have lifetime warranties. The amount of gas is only one of several considerations when trying to figure out why an AR piles brass where it does.