View Single Post

Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
I suspect your revolver got itself a non-factory barrel swap sometime after it made its visit to the Service Department in February, 1950.

If this was a factory conversion, the SD would have stamped the correct serial number on the barrel flat. It stretches credibility to think the technician stamped two incorrect digits, although I agree it is possible. It is interesting that the last three match, I will admit. Strange.
Given the serial overlap of 4 out of 6 digits, the factory return relatively soon after the gun's birth, and no other discernible reason for the return, I think I would see the stretch more in assuming this is coincidence and there is yet another event, a barrel change independent of the (then unexplained) factory work.

Since the two incorrect digits are the same, they really might require only one misread, a happenstance easier to imagine. Did the tech stamp the barrel before or after installation? Did he read the serial off the butt or off a piece of paper where someone might have noted it incorrectly or with bad handwriting? Imponderables ...
The Following 2 Users Like Post: