View Single Post

Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Liked 514 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961MJS View Post
Hi

I currently own an older Model 19 in .357 and I primarily shoot .38 Specials in it. I'd like to get an L-frame to shoot .357 magnums in full time. I'm looking at this gun as a woods carry gun, concealed in cooler weather, not so much in the Oklahoma summers. The 686 is supposed to be slightly larger than the old K-frames so you can shoot .357 in it every day. I'm looking at between 500 and 2000 rounds a year. I've narrowed my choices down to two models:

Model 686 Plus 3-5-7 Magnum Series
SKU: 150854.
Model 686 Plus 3-5-7 Magnum Series | Smith & Wesson

Model 686
SKU: 164222
Model 686 | Smith & Wesson

In my opinion, the 686 6 shot should be a stronger frame. Another shooter said that the 686 7 shot would be stronger because the lower half of the cylinder / frame match is between two chambers on steel, not on the chamber itself. Which would be stronger? At 2000 rounds a year, is this a concern? The 3-5-7 comes in a 5 inch barrel as opposed to the 686 with a 4 inch barrel. I'm good sized, so hiding another inch of barrel wouldn't be a problem.

Recommendations?

Thanks, I looked for this information in this forum, but didn't find what I was after.

Thanks
There is agreement by the posters above that either the 6 or 7 shot cylinders in the L frame is plenty strong for a lifetime of shooting as you described. I am in agreement as well. I was shooting my 6 shot 686 SSR yesterday at the range with mild 357 loads which I loaded myself. (BTW I shoot mild loads for my sake, not because the gun can't handle stronger loads.) It really is a joy to shoot. But my 686+ is great to shoot as well.

If I remember correctly, the Talo 3-5-7 series comes with an unfluted cylinder. I used to think that unfluted cylinders were purely stylistic and I preferred the traditional fluted look. But eventually I acquired some revolvers with unfluted cylinders and I discovered that I could shoot them more accurately. I think the added mass stabilizes the gun. Much like the full underlug but without making the balance barrel heavy. So now I am a fan of unfluted cylinders and would recommend that choice. Also since you seem to be concerned with the strength, the unfluted cylinder must be a bit stronger.

In any case any of the L frame models will make you happy. Let us know which way you go.

Last edited by ridgewalker; 09-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: