View Single Post

Old 09-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi cop View Post
I have never had to shoot someone, but I have made numerous arrests at gunpoint and have many times decided that if a suspect/offender carried out a certain action I would shoot. Here in NZ we never as cops will shoot to kill.

We only shoot to stop an offender inflicting death or serious bodily harm to ourselves or another, or to effect an arrest/prevent an escape from custody where the offender poses a real and serious risk of death or serious bodily harm to ourselves or another and where the use of lesser force is insufficient.

I have no knowledge of US laws but in my view if following a self defence shooting anyone says "I shot to kill him in self defence" there may very well be repercussions. A statement that "I shot to stop him from ......." is possibly a better option.

Anytime you shoot intending to kill is trouble.

As for absolutes, there is usually both an objective and subjective test to self defence shootings. What you believe at the time and what other people believe is reasonable under the circumstances (investigators, prosecutors, jury) so absolutes are practically impossible to give.

As Walkingwolf indicates above, the fact that you raised this question on this forum will be established if you are ever involved in a self defence shooting, and subjectively it will be held against you.
It's the same in the US. Shoot to stop, NOT to kill.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Like Post: