View Single Post

Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

I would never question the word of a Combat Veteran, but the probability that a LAC sees a Police type firefight let alone a combat type firefight is astronomically small. I don't see how statistics from the battlefield can be applied in civvie SD situations.

That's just my opinion, maybe criminals where you live engage you at a distance, utilize mines and indirect fire, adhere to Hauge and Geneva, and subscribe to VonClauswitz.

As a civilian hopefully the scum accosting you has a switchblade and not a stolen G27. Remembering your CCW training you pull your M640 and yell "I have a GUN go AWAY". Scum runs, changes his underwear, congratulations.... Maybe you fumble pulling that Bersa Thunder out and put a round into the ground six feet in front of you, again scum runs off, better lucky than good, right... Maybe you aim at his sternum with your G42 but hit his humerus, he doesn't enjoy the sensation, he leaves the scene. Any shooting you walk away from is a good one.

But that isn't what I am talking about. INVOLUNTARY stops, what is the best way to make an INVOLUNTARY stop? Brain? CNS? Heart? very high probability of death.

I hope no LAC goes looking for a fight. You win every fight you don't engage in. But when every other option is exhausted and you are focused 110% on your front sight as you smoothly pull the trigger. That sight should be on a spot that, should the bullet hit right there, more likely than not the target dies. (After that first shot, you should be reacquiring the sight picture and sending a second downrange, again likely to cause a death.)

Its a fine line (and I feel a bit of a smart donkey for saying). Don't shoot to kill, shoot to incapacitate. (By hitting a spot that will likely kill.) It isn't something everyone feels morally justified in doing, and there is no shame in that, but it shouldn't be hidden behind euphemism.

George S Patton is reputed to have said that no war is won dying for ones country, it is won making the other poor ******* die for his.

Last edited by TomkinsSP; 09-14-2017 at 10:51 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: