View Single Post

Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 AM

Liked 534 Times in 236 Posts

I am now firmly resolved to go the other direction. I have a Kahr P9 and Sig 238 that I would like to replace with old-school steel J-frames. Something along the lines of a model 36/60 or one of the DAO or humpback variants if I stumble across one. I don't necessarily regret purchasing the semi-autos, but I have often found myself wishing they were wheel guns. My wife loves the little 380 and would protest if she knew I was seriously thinking of selling it, but she is somewhat recoil sensitive and can't shoot it worth a damn. She lacks the strength to rack a slide reliably – in particular on pistols with stiff springs like the P9. And I don't trust that she'll remember to take the 238 off safe or how clear a jam in the heat of the moment. She's just not into guns enough to retain this basic training. And as far as I'm concerned, I would prefer the heavier loads that can be used with 38 spl and the greater power that can be tapped as a reloader in that gray area between 38 spl and 357 magnum without having to step up to full magnum power (I've got a K-frame for that). Also, snake shot works better in a wheel gun. FWIW, I think the 9mm is a bit overpowered for the cartridge size and modern 380 is approaching this point, in particular for use in ever-smaller and lighter platforms. Also, as a reloader, I hate chasing my brass at the range only to find that someone else has already snapped it up.

While I was preparing for Irma's impending onslaught last week, I was kicking myself thinking that I ought to sell my pristine model 629 that only gets used for target practice and use the proceeds to buy two J-frames. However, I don't care if I packed it away and never pulled the trigger on that beast again, I'd miss the hell out of it. The compact and sub-compact semi-autos on the other hand, I'd miss those about as much as a hurricane...

Last edited by SeamasterSig; 09-15-2017 at 12:51 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: