View Single Post

Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post
While I prefer a revolver as my primary carry, I like to back it up with a trusted semi-auto.

340 Pro Series and 360 PD AirLite

My J frames are preferred when concealability is my paramount concern. but I also have a 547 in 9mm that carries well ISWB Appendix carry at the 2:00 position.

K frame 547 3" heavy barrel

The 547 weighs more than the J frames and is a bit bulkier but points very well, and is a great instinctive shooter. It would definitely be what I would want to have in hand in any self defense situation.

But I would also like to have a semi-auto to back it up if 6 is not enough to settle things. Reloading a revolver in a gunfight is a good way to get shot so I rely on a NY reload if things ever get that bad.

547 & 915 when "going heavy"

360 AirLite and 3914 DAO when "going light"

Of course there are times that a single weapon is all I choose to carry and in those instances I'll likely go with a semi-auto. The Black Pearl has become a favorite:

4516 Custom Carry Melted and Melonited

With this .45 and one spare mag I feel quite prepared for whatever I am confronted with. Other semi's I'm comfortable with are my 457 set up just like the Black Pearl with Big Dot combat sights and my 3914 DAO, also equipped with Big Dots:

3914 DAO w/ Boker auto opener.

So in my case the single stack semi-auto has not replaced my wheel guns as primary carry, but they have added to it and enhanced my ability to defend myself and loved ones from the evil that exists out there.

digiroc

Shoot Well My Friends
Good choice on both that semi auto Smith and revolver! I sometimes carry (2) "J" frames; one in my strong side front pocket in a DeSantes Nemesis and the other in a Bianchi at 4 O'clock with a couple speed strips. Both filled with BB 158gr soft cast +P's... Nothing like a New York reload! Holster choice is paramount just as much as practicing your draw. And lots of people are leaving the knife out of the equation. A good auto-blade knife, with a nice pocket/waist/belt clip is in its own right a formidable weapon at bad breath distances. Glad to see you're carrying a blade as well! Mine is a Kershaw with a 3.5" Tanto blade. Good choice on that "tac" belt as well. I have (2) that exact style. I find that it cinches up nicely with my holsters and is nice and wide to distribute the weight. I wear this style when I'm carrying the lighter revolvers but a BullHide Belt with an internal stiffener when carrying the Smith 625 or the 1911 Commander because they weigh 40+ ounces.

Last edited by HamHands; 09-15-2017 at 08:44 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: