View Single Post

Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961MJS View Post
cowboy4evr wrote "It's sad , folks don't realize the real strengths of the K-frame 357's . It was the " light for caliber " 110-125gr bullets that cracked forcing cones and would , over time shoot them loose . They were using a powder charge with those light bullets that is the same charge weight for the 41 magnum / 210gr bullet and that's in the N-frame ." I read a similar comment elsewhere. This is counter intuitive to me, but in order to keep the revolver running longer, using heavy loads, I need to use a heavier bullet? I plan on using jacketed bullets, which will wear the barrel more quickly, but for my purpose that's what I'll probably shoot. I have 158 grain jacketed hollow points to work up a load with. I guess I answered this one on my own.
That only applies to full-power magnum loads, such as the 125gr SJHP at ~1450fps. My understanding is that the light bullets are shorter and move at such a high rate of speed that they cross the cylinder gap into the barrel before the chamber pressure has a chance to drop, resulting in hot gases and unburnt powder hitting the forcing cone. The result is erosion over time. Heavier, longer bullets effectively seal the cylinder gap long enough to keep that from happening.

Light- or medium-power loads, like Remington's Golden Sabre 125gr mid-range .357 Magnum load, as well as .38 Special loads, don't have this issue.