View Single Post

Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
That study is also somewhat flawed. It doesn't take into consideration the type of ammo, and I realize it's not something easily done. It doesn't mention if fatal means dead on the spot or dead in the hospital. Thats a big difference. Dead in the hospital may mean you're laying next to him! You could use the one shot stop data but that doesn't say if the guy got hit in the elbow and said ok thats enough for me, or he died right there. Although in this case it probably wouldn't matter since you're shooting to stop a threat. Number of rounds fired until incapacitation also doesn't mean it took the person X amount of hits to get to stop. It could mean that the shooter just kept firing. If the shooter went BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG in a second that could mean 5 shots or 1 shot that actually stopped. Some people will empty their magazine in a second.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Like Studies it is flawed, but it is what we have to consider. As for the type of ammo used I think we a canmake reasonable assumptions. The thinking over the time that suvey covered was when SD calibers starting with a 4 or a magnum were generally HP. For 380 and lower it was generally FMJ.

As for when death occured it is almost irrelevant. The more important statistic how many shots to reach incapacitation. incapacitation.

I guarantee you from personal experience, it is more important to incapacitate your opponent than to kill him. My objective in posting the study was to answer the claim that most incapacitation are lethal. The study shows that to not be the case.

I carry a 380 pistol loaded with Tuger ARX rounds that solves the problem of non expansion from a short barrel 380. I have absolute confidence that at up to 30 feet I can incapacitate a a bad guy wit two shots from my Remington 380. Beyond 30 feet I do not worry because unless the perp is really skilled regardless of caliber he is unlikely to hit me, especially when he gets sprayed with numerous cover fire.

Gunfighting is a science and an art.