View Single Post

Old 09-17-2017, 12:45 AM

Liked 4,511 Times in 1,658 Posts

Very interesting powder loads. I too have experimented with light loads of Bullseye, American Select, and Blue Dot. In dissecting vendor loads from Navy Arms I found that they used Blue Dot ( or the like in double base) for a smokeless substitute for some of the older calibers. However, I noticed a distinct common failure occurring in fired cases. The (smokeless loads) would consistently fail much faster than cases loaded with black powder 3f or pyrodex/777..(substitute). There is not an issue with chamber fit since these reloaded cases were already fired several times from the same gun. So I did not full length resize the cases when reloaded. Yet the longitudinal cracks would develop much faster in smokeless cases and "very rarely" in black powder/Pyrodex or 777 loaded rounds. I always attributed this case failure to peak pressure being what it was. I guess I'm a cheapee. I don't like blowing cases pre-maturely unless they are cheap. Like .38 special. Some of the antique caliber cases are quite pricey. The worst I would ever get from the Black powder loads or substitute loads in pyrodex/777 would be tiny cracks at the crimp point. I would just trim the case and go it again! So back to hot soap and water I went after a day at the range. It's more fun blowing smoke rings anyway with the 44's.