View Single Post

Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
I don't know where one would get a reforming die set to convert .50-110 cases to .348. It would likely involve at least two sizing dies, possibly three. And if such a set even exists (or custom made), it wouldn't be cheap. Donnelley's guide to cartridge case conversion (which is very extensive and detailed) does not provide much guidance regarding the .348. Not a job I would take on if there was any way I could buy .348 brass somewhere. The .348 standard reloading die sets are not that expensive.

That the 50-110 is the parent case of the 348 was simply my point,,it's not a one-of design spec as is often times cited.

Challenge a case forming/ bullet swaging junkie to make 348 from 50-110 and many will do it. But it's take a bunch of odd reloading dies and more work than seemingly necessary to make one from the other.
They just do stuff like that because they can.
Others like us scrounge around and buy a couple boxes of the still available precious brass and are satisfied with that.

I do some case forming for the odd calibers I reload for, mainly metrics. But something like that transformation I wouldn't even try to do.
Making scrap brass out of new unprimed 50-110 cases isn't a good use of time & money!