View Single Post

Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Jeff,

That's a beauty and a good decision to acquire.

The grip frame stamping of the serial # ended with the Improved I frames by 1953 with the exception of the 196 Transitional 32 RP Target models in 1957.

It is as you say, most likely a mis-stamp. We should never rule out the possibility of a simple model # stamping mistake of 31 on a rd butt frame. We've seen no shortage of model # stamping mistakes in all frame sizes.

But this seeming mistake/anomaly is not unheard of in the Model of 1953 New I frames like yours. We've also seen others including 2" sq butt versions stamped Mod 30 and marked as such on the box. I have studied this curiosity.

Although the original distinction of the 32 Regulation Police models at introduction in 1917, was the sq butt stocks over round butt (rebated) grip frames, because they had the same barrel length options as the original 32 Hand Ejectors. Note the 38 S&W models originated with the sq butt RP model in 1917. The rd butt 38 wasn't introduced until 1935 only with 2" barrels and named the 38 Terrier.

With the introduction of the Models of 1953 we begin to see this apparent blending of models in both 32 and 38 S&W New I frames (pre models).
Even though there was a 2" 32 H.E. introduced after the war with round butt, it continued to be available with 3" and 4" barrels as was the 32 RP.
This was easier to do with 32s since the barrel was never marked Reg Police like the 38 model. Doesn't seem to matter however because in this period we also see rd butt 38s with 3" & longer barrels marked Reg Police on the barrel.

This culminated in 1976 when we see the demise of the Model 30 altogether. The model 31 RP continues until 1991 with all barrel length options and both rd and sq butt configurations.

Anomalies like the OP's 32 RP have not yet been identified as a spl order nor confirmed as such in any historical letters to my knowledge. But that doesn't mean they weren't! I would letter that gun. I'm sure the OP's gun is original as it left the factory and has not been modified aftermarket; not with matching stamped # stocks. And it's not been refinished. But I always check the left side of grip frame under the stocks for a rework date(s).

To me these unusual configurations are possibly worth a little to collectors of all 32 configurations, when in collector condition.

In short, I admit to having no definitive answer....yet.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 09-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: