Thread: Python trade
View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Liked 1,364 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post
Nickel version probably will bring you closer to 2700-2800. No box or papers hurts along with incorrect grips. Correct grips will run you close to 400 bucks. But there is a source out there that makes perfect reproduction grips for all generations at about 250 if you wanted to make it look period correct.
The grips are correct, because it's not a '67 Python. The side plate pony style and the blued front and rear sight tell me it was made after 1970.

Most likely it was made between '75 and '81, which was peak production when HALF of all estimated 650K Pythons were produced in a 7yr period. Deduce the quality of 200(+?) Pythons being pushed out the doors daily for yourself. Or it's from '74 which would be the serial range of '67 but with the E prefix. Personally I would hope it's the latter.

If a peak production example, I place the value around $1700. If it was made before the cylinder change in late '76, like in say '74 as mentioned, then maybe $2000. I still look at them realistically for what they are. To someone else though, it could bring $2500 or more, and there isn't a shortage of this crowd. This is mainly due to a lack of education and following the internet hype of "Colt Python = mythical perfection".

Nice gun. You should take it to the range and give it a try.

Last edited by iPac; 09-24-2017 at 09:01 AM.