View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
I have been around 68 years now and survived one "situation" that evolved into a shooting inside house. I have two red dot sights that require batteries on revolvers for target shooting. My experience has been that when I get to the range, I find the batteries start dying while I'm shooting. Murphy's Law seems to dominate .
I can't trust my life to a battery powered anything because I tend to forget about the batteries until I turn them on. I have since bought a battery tester that shows how good-bad a battery is which helps decide when to change batteries....but I can't trust myself to NOT forget about the batteries. Even my flashlights get taken for granted until a hurricane is approaching ... then I check them.
If you are going to use lights and/or sights, in a life or death situation make sure the unit works every and all time ( a good i.e. expensive quality unit) and set up a strict schedule to test the unit and change the batteries.
In my one experience, things happened really fast, there was no time to turn on lights/lasers , only a fast response , the bad guy being a poor shot and with the grace of God I survived.
It's a personal decision to use these technological superior sighting tools and as long as they are properly working they are great, but when they stop working....they not so great.
Gary
The Crimson Trace lasers we have on 3 of our guns will start strobbing the laser if the battery starts to die. So still very usable. And the batteries are lithium, so they don't run down much at all from just sitting.

We practice with and w/o the laser, and are good with each. I've never had issue one with any of our CT products, and hope that continues. But it's good to be prepared.

Some great points about the flashlight mounted under the barrel giving a target. Laser is much harder to see that way.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: