View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Liked 1,182 Times in 374 Posts
Default Let there be light ...

First off, the figure I have read is 70% of assaults occur in hours of darkness. That would imply the a defensive weapon should be at it's optimum utility in low light situations.

Identification of a threat and even realization of a threat is 100% related to our ability to see it. Threats can and often do lurk in the darkest recesses available.

The ability to light-up your World is an essential part of situational awareness. Knowing what's around you is integral. Having a good flashlight should be an essential part of your kit.

While weapon mounted lights on a handgun are TackyCool and might be useful as a weight to reduce muzzle climb, I wouldn't want to give an opponent that good of an aiming point. And sweeping the room with the light is sweeping the room with the muzzle as Rastoff so rightly points out.

Flashlights have come a long way since the 5 cell MagLight, which can still be a big stick in your offhand if you want to tote one. I have a 1000 lumen LED that fits comfortably in my pocket.

At the brightest setting it will burn your retina's out, and it will strobe at that intensity, disorienting any potential assailants and blinding them by destroying their night vision.

Night sights are also a useful edge you can give yourself. Besides the ability to see them for aiming, seeing them when the gun is not in your hand can help you find it and orient it so it can be picked up without fumbling around to find the handle.

Lasers are also a great edge to have. There is no quicker target acquisition or aiming. They do have their limitations, useful only in less than bright conditions and relatively close ranges. Very nice from behind cover without the need to fully expose yourself, lasers are great at what they are good at.

None of these devices will take the place of practice, repetition, and drill. Since shot placement still trumps all, it will usually be the person who can first deliver accurate fire who will be the one to go home at the end of the day.

digiroc

Shoot Well My Friends

Last edited by digiroc; 09-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.