View Single Post

Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hondo44,

has middle lock. [but ramp/pin boss has been blued] i almost walked past this at a pawn shop because of that...

bbl # from ejector rod housing, valley, first digit almost under front lock pin.

crane # matches frame #.

only one stamped figure on front of extractor star. it appears to be a "3" stamped on what would be in line with the radius of the inner case relief cuts on star. as if a radius was scribed with dividers, and the "3" stamp centered up IN LINE with radius. like the line through an "S" to make $, but a radius line instead. rear of cyl has been turned. would guess star is a replacement part. will get better eyes to help me to look at it later, was a fairly constipated operation trynna hold rod out with one hand, and magnifying glass with other. but methinx, it's a replacement.couldn't unscrew the rod, was too tight. don't wanna booger up the knurling..

grips are definitely not original. would guess they are handmade, as no hole for logo is present, no reduction in width as would be required to sand off checkering. resemble my mdl 1926 grips in basic external contour:

http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/b...s/image003.jpg

there may be a screw beneath the wood inlays---purely speculation. at some point, they will have to be removed.[that should be fun-not!] will be trying to convince an outfit in germany to make up some replacements. their previous run were dead on period correct new mfgr, but quite $pendy. if they will make another set, these will be removed.

S&W letter included no records of a factory custom shop visit.

will check into removing middle lock plate, not familiar with this from previous revolver work. but with either serial #, not particularly relevant. 10001 was before second model. and they wouldn't have one anyway.

when i first scored this, i contacted Jim Supica when he still worked @ old town station. he wanted too see it, but before i could make arrangements to drive it up to KS from NETEX, i was deployed to the sandbox for the DOD. when i got back he had accepted his job as NRA museum director and could not be privateering anymore due to same.

to bad we can not schedule when ridiculously cheap scores like this happen. [i bought it as a "five screw".] then i could have met the man, himself. but if i could schedule these incidents, it would be a daily thing and i still wouldn't have had time.

netex