Thread: .44 Special
View Single Post

Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Liked 78 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme View Post
If the GP100 was too big, skip the 24 and 624, they will be even bigger. The model 69 will be just a touch smaller, if you can't find one of those in stock just check out a 3 inch 686. Its the same size just in .357 so you can see if that is the right size for you. Pretty easy to find a 686 snubnose, and if the size is right you could order a 69. If that is too big, you might as well stick with the Charter arms, its about the only one significantly smaller.
Exactly what I was thinking. There isn't much point in finding an N-frame if the GP-100 is too big.
Unless you just want to plan your next gun!

And he's also right that if you can find a 686, you've found a 69 (or at least a gauge to see how a 69 would fit/work), and finding a 686 should be easy enough if a place has many revolvers at all.

I'll put it this way regarding size. I've had a few .44 magnum revolvers but didn't keep any very long because I didn't like carrying them. The 69 I kept. It shoots as well as any of them and better than most, and is far easier to carry than any of them.
The only thing it gives up is one round, which can be a big thing to some. To me, it's worth the trade-off.

I've always been bothered more by the width of a gun I'm carrying than the weight (within reason). I usually carry a 1911 or Browning HPower. Although I've tried, I can't carry a Glock, or M&P .45, Sig, or any other auto as easily even though they weigh considerably less. They are also considerably wider.
It's no different with me and revolvers. I would love to carry an N-frame. I tried for two years to carry a 4" 25-5, but kept picking and choosing when to carry, which is a slippery slope (Since I lack a reliable radar to tell me "when" is, it turns into leaving without it more and more.)

I've decided the L-frame is my limit for carry. It used to be the K, but I've eased up. Any bigger, and it feels like there is too much too far from me. A good holster and belt will support it, but it still feels odd hangung out there.
And IWB, like I'd prefer for concealed carry? Not me and an N.
The Following User Likes This Post: