Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 AM

Liked 7,747 Times in 2,127 Posts

No need to start a new thread --

I found myself scrutinising a newspaper article about Gov. John Connally's wife (written after the death of JFK) and what I saw led me on a search. It's much-mentioned that Mrs. Connally was Arno Brill's daughter. And in this tiny, faded print I notice it mentions that her mother's brother -- that is, Arno Brill's brother-in-law -- was once Mayor of Llano TX.

Say, I think: N.J. Rabensburg, who is said to have invented the Brill and built it 1932 until at least 1955, was also a Mayor of Llano. Wonder what the sequence was?

Turns out that Mayor Inks, who was a hard-charger who died young, literally handed the key to the city to the new mayor, N.J., in 1931.

By 1932 we know that N.J. himself had bailed and returned to Austin where his address was 302 E. 6th St -- Brill headquarters. Mr. Inks likely maintained the link between the Brills and Rabensburg; though the latter had hundreds of relatives around TX.

Recall that in 1933, unemployment as a result of the Crash of '29 hit 25% (full employment is considered 4-5%). And Inks handed off after 7 years as mayor, citing the difficulty of doing that job and operating his flailing automobile sales business, too.

Likely N.J. felt the same in about a year and jumped at an offer to return to Austin to work with Arno again.

It was a mighty small world in those days (P.S., virtually all the big names were German born or descent and were Masons; even Tom Threepersons was a Mason and so were his wives #2 and #3 as members of the Order of the Eastern Star).(Ditto John Berns of Berns-Martin, and his wife).

Last edited by rednichols; 09-30-2017 at 01:07 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: