View Single Post

Old 09-29-2017, 04:10 PM

Liked 289 Times in 149 Posts

Practice and train for whichever perceived threat as best as one can. With the OP's analysis, it is prudent to start with the statistically close encounter.

Later, whether a day later or years later, consider getting whatever lower-light training which may include night-sights and/or weapon mounted lights. Now you'll have a choice (with an educated investment in more hardware) and have the knowledge to make a much better-informed choice.

The OP seems to be constrained by not wanting to buy a different gun. That's fine with me and I don't recommend getting rid of a handgun a person is already very comfortable with handling. If a person can't afford or doesn't want to try a gun with a light rail, with further expenditures in night sights and lights (I've got zero experience with lasers and they weren't authorized where I worked) that's a personal choice which easily can end up in the $1,000 range. It's not up to me to tell someone how to spend his/her money and this is just for the hardware; not any training to benefit the hardware.

What exactly was/were the question(s)?
Are night sights necessary? The can't hurt, but I haven't put them on all 15 handguns I own but do have a few which have night sights should I need them.
Is a weapon light necessary? That will also depend on one's training & experience along with the liklihood of being in darkness. I've got ~5 weapon-mounted-lights (WMLs) leftover from being a cop and my training involves also carrying a handheld light. The handheld light is the bare minimum and this training predates the WMLs.

"Blues7" seems to have the most experience using lighting and has the best advice. I say, at least, get one or two good handheld flashlights. I like the Streamlight and Surefire brands, but there are others. Later, consider night sights and a WML (again I've only got Streamlight and Surefire, but there are others; the two brands I own were the only brands OK'd for where I worked).

I admit, I don't change over to a WML'd handgun just to go out at night. I do have a flashlight on me even during the day.

Last edited by L-2; 11-24-2017 at 06:22 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: