View Single Post

Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts

Carried a 2.5" Model 19 for years (1976-1990 or so). Best load I found for LE or defensive use was the Federal .38 Spl. +P 158 SWC-HP (so-called FBI load).

I learned to stay away from magnum ammo with the short-barreled revolvers. Way too much muzzle blast, muzzle flash, and recoil with no real increase in velocity or energy due to the short barrels.

A factor that is seldom discussed is the potential problem of ejecting fired cases from the snubby revolvers. Those shorter ejector rods can make it difficult or impossible to eject the cases of high-pressure loads due to the cases expanding under pressure and sticking in the chambers. I learned that lesson the first time I fired a cylinder full of Super Vels in my 2.5" Model 19, then had to go home, remove the cylinder, place it into a padded vice, and tap the spent cases out with a dowel rod and mallet.

Even in my longer and heavier .357 revolvers I seldom use magnum ammo. When I do it is my hand-loaded ammo at relatively modest pressures, nowhere near factory levels.