View Single Post

Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Liked 26,309 Times in 9,122 Posts

Over the years I have been bitten 8 times and had to have rabies shots twice. Every one of these dogs "Never bit anyone before!" All of them were below 50 pounds. I did maintenance and AC repair mostly on rental properties.

I would arrive and tell the people that the dog/dogs had to be kept confined for me to work there. I had people refuse, I had people turn the dogs loose on me, and most people cooperated. But idiot owners are the bigger problem than any dog (even vicious ones!)

BTW, in Ohio and many other states, YOU are responsible for any damage done by your pets, livestock, or service animals! When you dog pees on the neighbors A/C, and the urine eats the aluminum cooling fins, you are responsible for repair or replacement (figure about 2 grand average!) When your dog chases the neighbors livestock even without attacking them, you are responsible if they are damaged, by running into fences, or posts or worse if they die from heart failure!

My brother raises several types of horses, including miniatures. A neighbors pair of boxers were trying to get to the horses, and the owner recovered them before they got in that pasture. My brother told him he kept a loaded rifle to shoot dogs before they got the horses, but he couldn't guarantee he could be in time. The dog's owner was incredulous that his valuable boxers would be shot! My brother explained that that less than 3 foot tall stallion was worth about $45,000 plus 10-15 grand a year in stud fees and any vet bills, would be at the neighbors expense! He then wanted to know if my brother might need a second rifle!

Ivan
The Following 6 Users Like Post: