Thread: Two Tone 915
View Single Post

Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM

Liked 204 Times in 63 Posts
Default Two Tone 915

Y’all are a bad influence! Not really, I’m mostly to blame here.

I bought my 915 as an inexpensive, no frills gun that I could carry daily without worrying about wear. Just a use as-is type deal. Well, I should’ve known that wasn’t going to work.

It’s been just about everywhere with me and done just about everything, too. I’ve learned a lot of things about it along the way, one of those being that I REALLY like this platform (S&W 3rd gen). It just doesn’t get much better in a workhorse semi-auto, for my use.

That’s not to say that the 915 hasn’t shown a few shortcomings, too. Namely in extensive carrying and shooting the finish and the sights fall a bit short of expectations...probably fine for most people, but I’m an avid (and fat) hiker, and despite open carrying OWB with a shirt in between me and it, the slide, slide release, and mag release button all would show signs of surface corrosion after an extended hike. And the sights, while functional, don’t work well for follow up shots.

So...I doubt I’m the first person to do this, but I slapped a stainless 5906 slide with the Novak sights on it, and the difference was awesome! Follow up shots are much faster, and my slide corrosion issues are gone! So here’s a pic of my two tone 915...or 915906?

It’s not done, I’m still waiting on the stainless slide release, mag release button, and a set of wood grips (pictured below). I like the Hogues but the rubber tends to catch my shirt and cause printing while I’m carrying concealed. Plus, when I did the slide swap it kind of looked like the current plastic two-tones and I felt like a good set of wood grips would set it apart. I also don’t know how I feel about the ambidextrous safety of the 5906, and may swap it with the 915’s.

Go ahead, tell me I’m crazy and how this was a waste of time and money! I already know! I’ll post another pic when it’s all put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 915; 10-06-2017 at 07:02 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: