View Single Post

Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,427 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
Good buy!

I was given a Golden 39A Mountie by a deceased friend. It is by far my most prized 22, and a fine shooter.

BTW, in your second photo, above the sling attachment on the rear stock, you will see an empty drilled hole. In case you were unaware, this hole was filled by Marlin's trademark bullseye plug. They were glued in, so it may have fallen out. In fact, mine fell out one day at the range, but I saw it and glued it back in.

Replacements are available. See, for example:

Marlin Bullseye Stock Inlay Polymer Black White - MPN: F406445

Congrats!
Bayou52; Good eye !... I spotted that missing "bullseye" my self and was going to make a comment about another little factor involving it.
Supposedly, (?) the Marlin stocks with the bullseye, like Tom's 39A, indicate a walnut stock,instead of the birch and other softwoods Marlin used on some of it's rifles, though I expect all the older 39A rifles had walnut.
Marlin did not seem to put the concentration on the wood that some others did; for instance Browning, or even the earlier Remington.

You got a .22 rifle for a lifetime of use VaTom. That can't be said of all things these days.