View Single Post

Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Liked 425 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum_runner View Post
After reading many of the threads here on the M&P 15....I wonder WHY did you buy one?
Barrel changes. Sights. Mags. Lowers. Trigger pull? 100,000 rounds? Why upgrade?
I understand many people want to "evolve" a weapon to fit their desires. I've scoped more than a few Mausers.
I just want reliable function...accuracy...and lethal.
PLUS available ammo. The M&P fits that requirement. I'm not changing anything.
Had I intended to spend $2000 plus, on an AR....changing/adding parts...I would not have gone with the M&P.
However, for the job intended, I figure it is more than enough.
If not, I have these ratty AK 47's....bountiful 7.62x39 ammo...and know them well....
Still, I like my MP very well....
I wouldn't consider this post any big party-pooper. I was expecting a rant on a rifle that crapped the bed, and S&W wouldn't stand by it, or something like that.
I think the OP is making a fair point, and one that applies across the spectrum, not just to M&P Sports.
Gun owners largely DO seem to have this irrational obsession with goobering up their toys with expensive, often un-neccessary extras, often defeating the purpose of the budget weapon they bought in the first place.
But, that being said, there are degrees of upgrades, and not all of them are over-the-top, complete overhauls.
Personally I think these rifles benefit heavily from replacing that rinky,abrasive, all-plastic handguard with a Magpul guard.
They're vastly more comfortable and ergonomic, provide greater surface area for the supporting hand, and are heat shielded. And, they ain't real expensive.
Also, the rifle benefits from one of those rubber Tapco slip-on buttplate covers. Obviously recoil isn't an issue, but these little rubber Tapco units add more surface area to the stock buttplate, rounding out the uncomfortable corners, and shouldering much more comfortable and effectively.
They're solidly constructed, stay on very well,and for the mere $10 they cost, they're a very worthy upgrade for these plastic M4 type stocks, IMO. Try one and I'm sure you'll agree.
Other than these, I think the rifle is exccellent, as is, and the OP is correct: if you feel gotta change out half the rifle, you shoulda just bought a higher-end gun.

Last edited by Mark IV; 10-07-2017 at 09:14 AM.