View Single Post

Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Liked 18,397 Times in 7,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_the_hammer View Post
I have read a lot on forum posts about S&W grips allegedly fitting them, but I have yet to see a post that actually says "Yes - Smith & Wesson K Frame Target Grips WILL fit an Astra .44 Magnum. I have actually done this." It's all posts like "Pretty sure they will fit" or "I hear they will fit". Also no pics of any Astra .44 revolvers with actual S&W grips on them. Just "tales from the gun web" that say they will work.

I don't think the chip is really that bad. I'm buying this thing. If it blows up on me I'm only out $250 - which I thought was a pretty good price for this thing. I put it on layaway with fifty bucks (20%) today.

The only thing that bugs me about it is that the grips look a little worn and a previous Bubba painted the front sight ramp red. I'll probably #0000 steel wool the paint off and hit it with some cold blue.

I also need to work on the stocks. If I don't end up getting some old S&W Target Stocks for it, I think I will give the ones on there a good rub down with some acetone to get rid of the sweat/oil that has accumulated (careful to avoid the medallions), then buff off the remaining glossy finish with more #0000 steel wool, apply a few coats of some Minwax "Gun Stock" color stain, and then spray them down with some gloss poly. Won't look "showroom" I'm certain, but it will be an improvement IMO.

I know this will probably sound cliche', but I have had a hankerin' for a "Dirty Harry" gun since I was a kid back in the 80's. The price point on this thing is just too good compared to the $1,000+ prices I see on the model 29 - and this thing could pass for a Smith at a short distance. I don't care if it's painful to shoot, either. I actually like coming back from the range with a sore shoulder from shooting my old Lee-Enfield No.1 MKIII. It's kinda like coming back home from the gym after working out. Hopefully my wrists can handle as much abuse as my shoulder.

I'll post some pics when I get it out of the hock shop.
For $250 it is worth the risk IMO.

BTW, I can (and did) say that some aftermarket k-frame round-butt grips do and WILL fit a large frame round-butt Astra 44 magnum. But like I said, not ALL k-frame round butt grips will fit because a lot of them have the grip screw centered in the side of the panels. That is not hearsay - that is from experience. Here is a picture of mine wearing k-frame Pachmayr grips.

Of course that doesn't guarantee the same is true for the square butt frames. It would only be logical for Astra to pattern them after the S&W square butt too - since that is what they did for the round butt. Butt of course it isn't guaranteed.

If the original stocks have metal medallions acetone won't hurt them. As long as the medallions aren't plastic, I'd soak the stocks in acetone for a few hours and scrub them with a stiff toothbrush to remove the existing finish. If necessary soak them a second time. Then take them out of the acetone and let them dry overnight. Lastly, refinish them with a 50/50 mixture of Tru-oil and boiled linseed oil. Rub on a light coat with a scrap of t-shirt material. Let it dry several hours until it is no longer tacky, and rub on another coat. Repeat until you get the amount of gloss and color you like. No need for any steel wool or sandpaper or anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2575-2.JPG (144.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by BC38; 10-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: