Thread: No. 3 Target
View Single Post

Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
I'll agree with the term "variation". Beyond that, I'm inclined to disagree----but will certainly agree to disagree.

If by ".32 Winchester" you're referring to my 38-40 NM #3 Target, no I have not tried SWHF for anything on this gun---my understanding being they have nothing digitized for the time period. Yes? No?

My inclination to refer to the NM #3 Target (the series of guns introduced in the late 1880's) as such arises from the fact I've never seen/heard of it authoritatively referred to as anything else. And while it is a separate and distinct variation of the NM #3, it has only target sights---or so I'm told, and have never seen/heard different. That said, I have no knowledge of what the factory called it---and would be entirely agreeable to calling it as they did. In the meantime, you say tomato---and I'll say something else. And my teeth will continue to hurt everytime I see/hear of a NM #3 with target sights referred to as a NM #3 Target. It's kind of like chalk screeching on a blackboard.

Ralph Tremaine
so, you've been hearing these sounds like chalk screeching a blackboard for the past 90 years of your life or is this a recent or perhaps a "selective" thing ?

A New Model 3 shipped from the factory with Target sights and a non-rebounding hammer is a New Model 3 "Target" (screech). It is just NOT in the .32-44 and .38-44 Target variation serial number range. After 1899 all bets were off. A New Model 3 shipped after 1899 was an "ordered" gun as it was no longer being manufactured ( all frames completed by 1898 ). Evidently S&W anticipated the popularity of the New Model 3 would continue, thus producing a rather large quantity of frames prior to 1899. e.g. I have and have seen other .32-44 Target models in the 31xxx and 32xxx range. How do you account for that ? It should have been continued in the .32-44/.38-44 serial number range.

Almost all 44 Russian NM3 Target models (that I have ever encountered) were shipped post 1898. I have only encountered 1 NM3T in .44 or .45 shipped prior to 1900. To be a "Target Model" :: PROPER :: it should have a non-rebounding hammer. I do have an anomaly, of sorts, a NM3 Target shipped in 1880-something in the 12xxx range cut for a shoulder stock. I originally though it was part of the Australian contract, perhaps. It does "letter" as a Target variation, cut for a shoulder stock, being shipped to Massachusetts.

In all your learned years you have never, not once before that I know of, objected to "New Model 3 Target" when referring to a Factory Target Sighted (non 32-44 and 38-44) New Model 3. This is something very new for you. Why, after ALL your years, do you just now object to this ?

Last edited by model3sw; 10-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.