View Single Post

Old 10-09-2017, 05:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 39,091 Times in 9,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
I don't know if spring steel can be successfully welded either. My next question was if not, why not?

I reckon steel is steel---and can be welded. I know a spring is tempered steel. I reckon welding it is going to put paid to the temper, but I also reckon the tempering can be done again.
My[email protected]

Google his name for his website.

Ralph Tremaine
It could be welded, but, like you believe it would need Heat treated. But, not just retempered. Welding would take the weld effected zone back to a point where it would first need to be normilized. Heated up to about 1500f and slowly cooled, then it would need to be rehardened then it would need retempered. It wouldn't be that hard to redo the heat treatments for someone with a good heat treat oven. Although, the weld itself would be somewhat carbon depleted because the filler material would lack carbon that should not be a problem in a small section with a small amount of fill as carbon would migrate to the low carbon area when the piece was at high temperatures. But I don't think that the repaired area would have a long life.

What I would do is get a piece of 5150 spring steel flat bar and cut the basic outline of the spring out from the bar. Then, heat to red and bend, file and grind to the correct shape then heat treat to form a brand new spring.

Last edited by steelslaver; 10-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.