View Single Post

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Liked 12,653 Times in 3,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbo View Post
As I read through the accounts of Folks, posting about their Gold Cup, Pistols. I see two completely different outlooks of owners about their Gold Cups. One faction, think of their G.C. pistol, as strictly a tool, and use it as such, and tend to try to see how many rounds that they can run through their tool at the range in one outing, with no failures. The other faction, tend to treat their G.C. pistol as a "treasured work" of the top Pistol Smiths that the Colt company has in their employment. I have no bone to pick with ether faction's opinion. I do think that the "tool" faction, would be better satisfied with aftermarket vendors offerings. The other, faction, Ones that spent an extra amount of their money to get, what they considered a "Top of the Line" Company offered Pistol, has their opinion also. I happen to belong to the "top of the Line" faction, learned to cherish each one, and make every round count. My firearms were used, and never ever abused, and they all reflect that. I still have the front sight pin, that folks of the other faction, informed me that I would soon need in 1964. "Nuf Said"
Chubbo
I actually think there are three factions.

1) the cherish it is as Colt near gun art faction;
2) the practical pistol shooter (see how many rounds I can reliably put through it) faction; and
3) the Bullseye competitor faction (the people it was originally built for).

----

Personally, I'm not in faction 1 as I don't really buy guns just to set them in a safe.

I'm also not in faction 2 as a Gold Cup would not be my first choice for practical pistol shooting given the loads used and the number of rounds fired in the average season. You don't need the accuracy that a Gold Cup can produce, and it won't maintain that accuracy in the 10,000-30,000 rounds per year you're going to fire.

Sadly, I am also not in faction 3. As can be inferred from some of the posts above, to get really good accuracy out of a Gold Cup, you need to send them off for some custom work. I found I got much better out of the box accuracy for Bullseye competition shooting from the Kimber Gold Match. Both are better with some custom work, but the Kimber is better out of the box.