View Single Post

Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Liked 5,446 Times in 2,247 Posts

Have you tried to contact the ammo manufacturer? If so, what did they say?

This is almost certainly caused by ammunition rather than the gun itself. I'm not one who refuses to use factory reloads. I've shot a bunch of them from a couple of different makers (mostly Buffalo Cartridge and Pro-Reload). I've fired a couple thousand rounds from each without incident. I have bought once from a couple of others, but won't buy again due to quality issues. I look them over before I load them. Anything that looks suspect doesn't get shot. That hasn't happened with the two companies I mentioned, but it did with some others that I will no longer buy. I also only shoot 115 grain reloads. Those offer a bit more margin for error in terms of seating depth unless loaded to max. Most factory reloads are not loaded anywhere near max.

The errors I've found with other brands include uncrimped rounds where the bullet is loose in the case, missing primers, and one squib round from Legendary Ammo. No harm was done by the squib since the next round wouldn't fully chamber, and I couldn't fire again. I consider that lucky because I would have fired again and probably destroyed the gun if the next round had chambered. I do have one round from Pro Reload with the primer backwards. I received one round of .223 from Legendary with the bullet seated backwards. Obviously I did not load those.

With the price of factory rounds right now I haven't bought reloads in awhile. If you watch Wikiarms you can find factory 9mm for between 18-20 cents per round in case lots. I watch for the deals and buy before I need it.