View Single Post

Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM
S&W Historian

Liked 11,335 Times in 2,894 Posts

There are some really good answers to your inquiry about the 1917.
Not wanting to hijack your thread, I must address Mr. Redfield’s reply on his 1917. I feel there are several statements you made that need to be addressed. You own Model 1917 serial number 0274. You state “there are also Model 1917 club guns that have a “0” prefix serial number and do not exhibit any of the typical roll stamps or inspector marks.” To make such a statement, how many of the other Special Zero Serial Number Model 1917’s have you examined in hand? My guess is, one, yours. I have physically seen two others and have conversations with two owners on the phone. That makes five I know of. Three have the normal markings the Model 1917, two, yours included have no markings. Which ones are you referring to? Do you have serial numbers to reference to back up this comment? If you do, please let me know as I maintain a database for Special Zero Serial Number guns. You also state “I have often wondered the rationale behind gifting a model 1917 to the Army Office who was overseeing production at S&W. Also, how would he be able to accept said “gift”.” My question to you is who got the five previous Special Zero Serial Number Model 1917’s shipped 31 days before 0274? They were serial numbers 0269 to 0274? I think you question about a “gift” may be answered in the fact that control of Smith & Wesson was taken over by the United States Government for the duration of WWI. So, I think it wasn’t Smith & Wesson’s to give, but his employer. Having had worked with the Defense Department for over twenty years, I can safely say they pretty much do as they please. Just an FYI, there were 40 Special Zero Serial Number Model 1917’s shipped from Smith & Wesson between October 1916 and November 1919. I wondered how many were “Gifts” to U S Army personnel.

Last edited by Club Gun Fan; 12-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: