View Single Post

Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Banned

Liked 251 Times in 67 Posts

I actually knew a gentleman who encountered a similar situation. This was perhaps 15 years ago now, and as a Korea vet he was well into his 60s. A man, later determined to be mentally ill, trespassed on his property and then began ranting loudly while trying to break into the garage, attached to the house of the older gent. Upon yelling at the would-be intruder he needed to leave, the volume of his shouting increased, after which my friend dialed the police, quickly and calmly explained the situation, and then explained that he would keep them on the line while he stepped out and again asked the man to leave. Two things to note; this was in a very rural area where a 20-30 minute emergency response is first rate. Second, when initially speaking to the authorities he explained bluntly he did not only have but was holding a loaded revolver. His next request to the man to leave was greeted by a thrown rock in response, at which time my friend raised his revolver, aimed as the man stooped to pick up another rock, and fired once, breaking his leg. The man gave up, sat down and began crying, at which time the gentleman asked him to remain seated while they waited for the police. After treatment the man went back to the mental home he had left, and there were no charges or investigation into the incident. Little was said about it, aside from the arriving officer thanking the home owner for remaining calm. Probably indicative of another era and mindset, but my friend simply responded without sarcasm that he "hoped that fellow would get better, but he sure is lucky I didn't have my shotgun handy."

Perfectly fine in one area might be attempted manslaughter or worse in another, so beyond basic safety I always encourage people to know both their local laws AND their local environment such as response times, the surrounding area, etc.

I'm happy to say my neighbor will soon celebrate his 82nd birthday.

Last edited by kip595; 10-11-2017 at 02:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: