Thread: Dan Wesson 715
View Single Post

Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Liked 14,849 Times in 5,049 Posts

Okay, you're asking a lot of questions and actually-- perhaps without realizing it, you are asking another question too, and I'll elaborate in a moment.

First, learning about nuances in California gun law. Well, imagine first that each of the 50 states retain almost all of the control over guns & gun laws within their state. Simple facts and process of elimination means that one state of the total 50 must be the absolute worst... and unfortunately, you live in that state. Gun laws in California are like running a gauntlet. I suggest Calguns and their group/forum for the very best advice in what is honestly a real flaming bag of deficate that is burning on your doorstep.

Next... regarding the revolver flash gap. The Dan Wesson is the only revolver design I am aware of where the user can remove/install and adjust their barrel and this allows you to set and fine-tune this gap. It is EASY to do and the flash gap on any Dan Wesson revolver is a fantastic feature and for certain, no manner of a deficit. Anyone who argues that it is a deficit should, IMO, attempt to explain themselves. It would be like calling a Corvette a lousy car because the damn thing can go "too fast!"

Now then, is a Dan Wesson what you truly want? This depends a whole lot on exactly what you want from a revolver! If you want solid build quality, the adjustability I mentioned above and accuracy that is an extremely well-known trait of a DW revolver, then YES. However, if you want a smooth double action trigger stroke, more options for accessory grips, more ability to easily smooth up the insides and have far more access to parts & springs... a S&W is a better choice.

And to the "mystery" question I eluded to above...
There are two different Dan Wesson outfits. There is the classic DW that was made from the very late 1960's in to the... hmmm, late 80's or early 90's? And there is the current Dan Wesson 715 that is once again being produced, brand new right now, by CZ-USA.

Expect the current production DW to be a fantastic revolver... I believe it may actually be BETTER than the originals. But it carries a hefty price tag and may very well not legally exist in California.