View Single Post

Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Liked 987 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
His experience is no longer relevant as S&W announced in mid 2014 that it had discontinued support for the 3rd generation pistols. That's one reason so many of them have been showing up as law enforcement trade-in or surplus pistols over the last few years.

What this means is that if you send one in for repair, they will scrap it and “replace” it with an M&P Series gun. This is not a direct replacement, but rather they'll offer you a comparable M&P pistol at cost.

I like my 6906 a lot, but I wouldn't spend a dime on any of the M&P series pistols.

Your best bet if you like the 6906 is to find another one, and keep your current one for spare parts.
This is absolutely false. I own 20+ 3rd gens and S&W customer service still takes care of any issues I have. Issues are extremely rare, but they still stand behind the lifetime warranty on all of my 3rd gens, even post 2014. Most recent was January of this year (2017). I was only inquiring about this particular issue because I'm curious if he was able to salvage the firearm. Not sure where you heard that they stopped support, but I can tell you that they have not. They continue to remain one of the best customer service/support teams around.