Thread: reloading a 9mm
View Single Post

Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM

Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

Many of us got our "feet wet" with a Lee Classic Loader (aka whack-a-mole) $28.99 @ Midway. In 1967 it was $9.99 and got me started.
It's not a fast production method but teaches the basics well, good ammo can be produced and if the reloading bug bites you can move on. I still have mine and use it . If you loose interest in reloading you haven't lost an investment of hundred's of dollars .

A step up , but still reasonable in cost, is the Lee Hand Press Kit and a set of Lee dies. This is a small "C" press that you do not bolt to a bench .
Goes anywhere , operates with your two hands. I reload all my 9mm with one of these , they are "handy". The Hand Press Kit has everything except dies, Lee dies come with a shell holder , this + a loading manual, powder, primers and bullets is the basic's .
To me the disadvantage to the Classic (whack-a-mole) Loader is the noise....you tap everything in and out with a mallet (no press) loading inside the house can get some comments from others..."stop making all that racket" is common. The hand press is quite.

Get a loading block to hold the cases while loading.....I didn't and immediately realized you must have something to keep cases from falling over and rolling all over the place... MTM Universal Reloading Tray, my favorite.

If you try reloading and like it , it's a most fun and interesting hobby. Being the master of your own ammo supply is very satisfying and you can create ammo not available through dealers. Odd, obsolete or special loads (reduced power) are not a problem for the reloader.
I have been doing it for 50 years and it is still fascinating, fun and rewarding.
I don't know about saving money...you will shoot more.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 10-13-2017 at 07:00 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: