Thread: SW 69 = failure
View Single Post

Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Liked 527 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Whiteleather View Post
Respectfully...I do not agree at all.

I cannot think of a single ball detent system in which the ball is outside the detent. It is supposed to roll into the notch or divot fully. Otherwise why bother with a notch? Just have it press on a flat surface.

As others have noted, the barrel is actually visibly canted. If the barrel were centered and straight, the ball would be in the center of the notch. It would take considerable force against the ballbearing to compress the spring to allow the ball to slip out of the notch. This is how some of my breakbarrel airguns lock up, this is what makes my target aperture sights go 'click-click-click' instead of just 'cl-cl-cl'.

I think the torque adjustment on their barrel assembly machine is too high. My particular photo shows an over rotation of the barrel.
All the ones I have looked at in the stores lock up like the pictures shown so you have now seen one that is not in the divot fully as designed. I did see a 69 this week in a local shop that had its barrel SHROUD out of alignment with the frame. The lines on top did not line up. I wonder if there is some play in the shroud frame fit that gets torqued when the barrel is tightened?