Thread: .22 wmr snub
View Single Post

Old 10-15-2017, 12:35 PM

Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

I am a revolver guy. Carried a M40 for close to 40 years now. 24 ounces loaded by my scale with one reload in a Bianchi speedstrip. I bought the 351c because it weights 11.4 ounces loaded by my scale with one reload in Tuff strip. (642 weight is 17 ounces same condition.) I can pocket carry the 351c, the pancake holster and belt required for the M40 weights another pound or so.

IMHO revolvers are the perfect firearm for SD. Simple, reliable, accurate. If you can hit what you aim at then a .22 short is as useful as a .45 LC. Civvie encounters are typically at distances you can get good hits if you remain focused. Moreover the mere fact you are armed and willing to defend yourself usually deescalates the siiuation without gunfire.

Speer uses 24 inch industry standard test barrels and the numbers they obtain are useful comparing any of thier products to each other and to products made by others but tested with the same protocols.

.22 WMR has massive advantages over .22LR in long barrels.

I used to think that ALL of the fireball was wasted energy. I spent a lot of time developing efficent loads for a snubnosed .38 special. For instance 1.9 grains of Clays burns nearly instantaneously, great accuracy, no fireball, minimal recoil propelling a 150gn LDEWC. You couldn't fill that case with Clay's, pressure would be too high, You can nearly (5,7gn) with HS6, fireball, more recoil, more fps. You can back off the charge until.you pattern rather than print, but HS6 will never burn 100 percent in 1.875 inches.

Same thing with the Gold Dots (I would guess with Hornady and Olin too). Nice SD bullet, enough fast burning powder to propell that JHP to speeds ot will expand at, but not so much as to be excessivly loud or create a fireball.

The HP-V is designed for a rifle. It probably has a slower powder, designed to burn 100 percent in 15 to 23 inches. Put it in a 1.875 inch 351c and its a relativly loud flamethrower. But that fireball.does inefficently propell.the bullet a little (like a booster rocket). Over my chronograph the lighter HP-Vs went fastest, then the solids, then the Gold Dots.

Since the Gold Dot is going fast enough to expand, the fact it is 125 or so fps slower does not matter.

While not apples to apples (351c vs LCR .22LR), both have 1.875 inch tubes. My high average over my Chrinograph was about 1105, my low average for 3 types of 36 to 40 grain solids in WMR or LR was about 1047. All of those were hyper velocity rifle rounds with big loud fireballs.

The WMR SD rounds are so very much more pleasant to shoot. And in LR you basically have solid or tiny (small game) hollowpoint bullet design. I prefer GDHP to Vnax, but would take PDX or V-max over any LRN design.